Eligibility & Instructions For Joining IMA, Dehradun
IMA is the Officer training academy of Indian Army that was established in 1932. Dehradun is the base of training for IMA. A trainee on admission to the IMA is recognized as a Gentleman Cadet as the Academy infuses the highest ethical and moral values into the young cadets. IMA presents excellent professional alternatives to the brave young men.
Cadets are trained at IMA for 12 months who are chosen via different exams. The cadets who are not graduates of Rashtriya Indian Military College endure training for one and a half years.
There is a varied degree of mental & physical challenges for which the aspirants should be prepared before being a part of IMA. Bodily and Medical Necessities, Age Restrict Are Among the Prerequisite on the foundation of which candidates are chosen.
Eligibility As Per Various Selection Examinations For IMA
- Through NDA Exam: Only unmarried male candidates are eligible having age limit between 16.5 to 19 yrs. It is necessary that the candidates should have completed 12th with PCM as main subjects.
- Through CDSE: Male unmarried graduates having age limit between 19 to 24 Yrs can apply for CDSE. There is no specific minimum percentage required to apply for the CDS Exam.
- Through Technical Graduate Course (TGC): Married/unmarried young, dynamic guys studying in final year or have completed B.E./B.Tech in specified required streams can join IMA through Technical Graduate Course within the age of 19 to 25 years.
- Through University Entry Scheme: Candidates who are in final or Pre-Final year of engineering. Cut off percentage may be set by Army HQ stream-wise depending on the aggregate percentage marks scored by the candidates in the first two years/four semesters of the engineering degree course. Age should be between 18 to 24 years at the time of applying. Campus selection & SSB interview governs this mode of selection.
Physical fitness is one of the most important condition for joining Armed Forces. Irrespective of the branch you are applying for, you must fulfill some basic physical standards. The guidelines for the same are available at official website of Dte Gen Recruiting at Join Indian Army website.
General physical requirements common for all candidates are given below:
- The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/disability.
- There should be no disease of bones and joints of the body.
- Chest should be well developed having minimum 5 cms expansion.
- There should be no sign of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessel. Blood pressure should be normal.
- Urine examination is done and any abnormality if detected will cause for rejection.
- Any skin disease will also cause medical rejection.
Instructions For Joining Indian Military Academy
As per the UPSC Notification for Combined Defence Services Entry, candidates have to follow few instructions before joining the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
Before the candidate joins the Indian Military Academy:
1. He will be required to sign a certificate to the effect that he fully understands that he or his legal heirs shall not be entitled to claim any compensation or other relief from the Government in respect of any injury which he may sustain. In the course of or as a result of the training or where bodily infirmity or death results in the course of or as a result of a surgical operation performed upon or anesthesia administrated to him for the treatment of any injury received as aforesaid or otherwise.
2. His parent or guardian will be required to sign a bond to the effect that if for any reason considered within his control, the candidate wishes to withdraw before the completion of the course or fails to accept a commission if offered; he will be liable to refund the whole or such portion of the cost of tuition, food, clothing and pay & allowances, received as may be decided upon by Government.
3. Candidates finally selected will undergo a course of training for about 18 months. Candidates will be enrolled under the Army Act as gentlemen cadets. Gentlemen cadets will be dealt with the ordinary disciplinary purposes under the rules and regulations of the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
4. While, the cost of training including accommodations, books, uniforms, boarding and medical treatment will be borne by Government, candidates will be expected to meet their pocket expenses themselves. The minimum expenses at the Indian Military Academy are not likely to exceed Rupee 200.00 per month. If a cadet’s parent or guardian is unable to meet wholly or partly even this expenditure financial assistance may be granted by the Government. Gentlemen / Lady Cadets undergoing training at Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy and corresponding training establishments in Navy and Air Force, in whose cases the income of Parents / guardians does not exceed Rupee 1500/- ( under revision ) per month are eligible for financial assistance. In case of parents / guardians whose income exceeds Rupee 1500/- (under revision) per month but does not exceed Rupee 2000/- ( under revision ) per month, the same financial assistance will be given in respect of all the sons / wards if there are more than one son / ward simultaneously undergoing training in one or more than one of the above institutions irrespective of the fact whether the institutions are under the same service or not. The immovable property and other assets and income from all sources are also taken into account for determining the eligibility for financial assistance. The parent / guardian of a candidate desirous of having any financial assistance, should, immediately after his son / ward has been finally selected for training at the Indian Military Academy, submit an application through the District Magistrate of his District who will with his recommendation forward the application to the Commandant, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
5. Candidate finally selected for training at the Indian Military Academy will be required to deposit the following amount with the Commandant on arrival :
a) Pocket allowance for Rupee 1000.00 five months @ Rupee 200.00 per month.
b) For item of clothing Rupee 2750.00 and equipment.
c) Total Rupee 3750.00.
Out of the amount mentioned above the following is refundable to the cadets in the event of financial assistance being sanctioned to them. Pocket allowance of five months Rupee 1000.00 month @ Rupee 200.00 per month.
6. The following Scholarships are tenable at the Indian Military Academy :
(i) PARSHURAM BHAU PATWARDAN SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is
awarded to cadets from MAHARASHTRA AND KARNATAKA. The value of one scholarship is upto a maximum of Rs. 500.00 per annum for the duration of a cadet’s stay at the Indian Military Academy subject to the cadet’s making satisfactory progress. The cadets who are granted this scholarship will not be entitled to any other financial assistance from the Government.
(ii) COLONEL KENDAL FRANK MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is of the value of Rs. 360.00 per annum and is awarded to an eligible Maratha cadet who should be a son of ex-serviceman. The Scholarship is in addition to any financial assistance from the Government.
7. An outfit allowance at the rate and under the general conditions applicable at the time for each cadet belonging to the Indian Military Academy will be placed at disposal of the Commandant of the Academy. The unexpended portion of the allowance will be :
(a) handed over to the cadet on his being granted a commission or
(b) if he is not granted a commission refunded to the State.